Final Phase Refurbishment
Frequently Asked Questions
HINT: Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
for the latest news, pictures and information
@swanatstreatley Facebook & Instagram
1. When is the work taking place?
The restaurant is now closed and work started in December.
2. What works are planned?
We are redesigning the restaurant, bar, event space, remaining bedrooms and all back of house operations, everything will be new.
3. How long will the work take?
We expect to have the re-launch somewhere in the middle of next year (2017).
4. Will the hotel remain open?
Yes, we have 23 brand new bedrooms available on a room only basis (a simple breakfast is available in the Boat House) plus the Gym & Spa are open.
5. Can I see the plans?
Visuals are available through the West Berkshire Council website: www.westberks.gov.uk.
6. What food & drink are the hotel providing?
The new bar is serving snacks with drinks including nuts, crisps, olives, cheese & biscuits. Opening times are as follows:
Mondays to Thursdays: 7:30am-10pm
Fridays & Saturdays: 7:30am-11pm
The Boat House is open from 7am – 5.30pm, weekends 8am – 5.30pm, closed on Tuesdays and offers breakfast, lunch and cakes.
We also recommend:
- Pierreponts Café across the bridge in Goring, lovely for coffee, breakfast and lunch (open Fridays for dinner)
- The Miller of Mansfield, across the bridge in Goring, 2 Rosette & Restaurant of the Year 2016, great for dinner
- The Catherine Wheel, in Goring behind the High Street, lovely local pub
Sorry we do not allow take-away food in the bedrooms
7. Will the Boat House stay open?
At some point we will need to upgrade this part of the building and its service, so it will then for a short period of time (date TBC but 2017). Until then we have revised the opening times: 7am-5.30pm weekdays, 8am-5.30pm weekends, and closed on Tuesdays.
8. Will the Gym remain open?
Yes, fully open with a full timetable of classes - new members are welcome.
9. Will the Gym Membership increase in price?
No, the fee of £50 per month (+£25 joining fee) including sauna, steam & classes will stay the same.
10. Will the Studio remain open?
11. Will the Spa and treatment rooms stay open?
Yes absolutely, we have upgraded our systems so people can now book online, simply and easily 24/7. Just visit:
Obviously customers can still call our main number for info, bookings or to speak with Kate. 01491 878800.
12. Can guests and gym members still park at the Swan?
Yes. Once the contractor is on site and the refurbishment has started, we will provide information on our new temporary entrance and route, for now guests can continue to use our car park.
13. Will the boat moorings remain?
Yes, in fact we will completely refurbish the terrace(s) and have new moorings for boats to pop in and have lunch or dinner (or stay over) next year. In the interim of the works boats cannot moor in front of the hotel (rental moorings remain as is for now).
14. Will the mooring prices increase?
No, we will keep the same prices for 2017.
15. Will the mooring facilities improve?
Yes, we are including an upgrade of services within the refurbishment works and will inform the mooring holders nearer the time.
16. Will you still be doing events and weddings?
Not during the refurbishment works. However after this it will be a major part of our offering with a capacity of up to 150 standing - so plenty of space. And the great news is our largest events space will be entirely redesigned and will overlook the river.
17. What date will you start taking events and weddings?
We are likely to start taking bookings from August or September 2017 - to be confirmed. For events and weddings before August 2017 we recommend The Great House at Sonning
18. Have you got a brochure of your events and weddings?
Not yet, however we are preparing detailed images of the proposed layout & design of the event spaces which we will share on our website soon. We will then begin work on our new brochure.
19. Can you still use the bar as a non-resident?
Yes absolutely, everybody is welcome
20. Can I hire the new bar for a private event?
On occasion, depending on the type of event and the catering needed – please contact us to discuss: email@example.com
21. Can I hire the Boat House for a private event?
Yes absolutely, it is available evenings only with no hire charge, and buffet style catering can also be provided: firstname.lastname@example.org
22. If I have any other concerns who do I speak to?
Please contact Michael Westenbrink: email@example.com